b-hebrew - Re: Kenyon etc (Peter Kirk)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT ilink.nis.za>
  • To: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Kenyon etc (Peter Kirk)
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 06:22:04 +0200

(offlist)

"Jonathan D. Safren" wrote:

> . . .
> There was only one destroyed occupation level of Hazor which would fit
> the Settlement Period, so either the Joshua narrative is true or the
> Judges narrative is true, not both. Considering the penchant of the
> author of Joshua to invent "salvation history", I would opt for the
> Judges narrative being true.

Dear Jonathan,

Unless I'm missing something, Judges 4-5 says nothing about Hazor being
destroyed, unless you want to infer it from Judges 4:24 (they "cut off"
Jabin). The king's name is the same in Joshua and Judges, but there is
also a Jabin of Hazor mentioned in some cuneiform source from around the
18th century - maybe a dynastic name.

Yours,

John