b-hebrew - Re[2]: Change of person (Is 1:24b-31)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Change of person (Is 1:24b-31)
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 14:40:17 -0500 (EST)

Let me reply with reference also to Ben's quotes from Motyer. I agree
with Motyer's first structure, verses 21-26, which I think is a
clearly indicated chiasmus with "faithful city" at the outside. But I
disagree with his second "neatly dovetailed" structure. For one thing
I wonder if Hebrew authors really did quite such complicated
interleaved dovetailing. But more fundamentally I see differences in
theme and vocabulary between the three sections I have proposed,
21-26, 27-28 and 29-30. (I am not yet sure how verse 31 fits.) Each of
these sections is internally coherent, with parallel structures,
contrasts, repeated vocabulary etc. But there is no clear coherence
between any one section and any other. I notice that BHS suggests the
same by varying the level of indentation. I know this does not explain
the grammar of 27-28, but I doubt if peaking is the only possible
cause.

Now, I am not looking for botched editing. But I think it is generally
agreed that prophetic books are at least in part collections of
separate oracles which have been put together by scribes. I would
suggest that 21-26, 27-28 and 29-30 (or 31?) were originally separate
sayings, or parts of longer discourses, which have been brought
together (probably without any deliberate editing) by a disciple of
the prophet.

Peter Kirk