b-hebrew - Change of person (Is 1:24b-31)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Change of person (Is 1:24b-31)
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:48:04 +0800

I'm wondering about the change from second person to third person
back to second person in this passage. (The third person section
is verses 27-28.)

NIV treats the third person section as parenthetical, as outside
the quote of YHWH. Yet I see in these two verses many other
unusual forms, which frequently indicates a peak (if you will
allow me to use that discourse term). Is there really any other
indication other than the switch of person that would call for
the verses to be outside the quotation? Or are we simply seeing
a mark of peak that could easily have been used by the speaker
even within his longer speech?

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines