b-hebrew - Re: )MN in Is 1:26

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: ronning AT ilink.nis.za, Peter_Kirk AT SIL.org
  • Subject: Re: )MN in Is 1:26
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 06:42:06 +0800

John Ronning wrote:

> Dear Paul and Jimmy,
>
> I would go for whichever provides the best contrast with the description
> of the current city as a prostitute (v. 21) - ideally using the same
> word as in v. 21, if it makes sense in your target translation, since
> you have the same phrase there (qiryah ne'emanah), as you've no doubt
> noticed.

Thanks to all for the responses to this question.

John, I picked yours to respond to because you picked up the same inclusio as
did Peter
Kirk, who responded offlist. It was this inclusio that he referred to in
another
thread.

Peter, we did see this parallel, and were ready to echo it in verse 26 when
we decided
to check again the lexicons. When Jimmy looked at the glosses given there,
most
specifically the term, "reliable," he proposed the second possibility. There
appears to
be a difference between the personal characteristic, "faithful," and the
actions which a
person does, which he associates with "reliable." Since we are translating
from the
Hebrew and not from the English, we thought we should get some input on the
Hebrew
concept of this word in these cases. Anyone know what was being emphasized
in the
collocation of "faithful" and "prostitute" in the Hebrew?

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

Paul
Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines