b-hebrew - Re: )MN in Is 1:26

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Paul Zellmer" <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: )MN in Is 1:26
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:59:35 -0500

Hi Paul and Jimmy,

Don't you think, in the case of Isa 1:26, that the town fill be called
faithful as a result of the justice system being restored rather than some
accumulation of faithful acts? In addition the city is decribed as being
purged of dross. Wouldn't that be a figure representing a change in the
essential nature of the city? If this is the case, I would think that a
word expressing intrinsic faithfulness, your first Ibanag* word, would be a
better choice. Do you have a different word for "reliable"? * is a
widcard ending because I don't know the correct adjective form for Ibanag!
;-)

Shalom, 'axim!
Bryan

----------
> From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
> To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: )MN in Is 1:26
> Date: Tuesday, January 19, 1999 10:41 PM
>
> We have just spent an hour discussing the Niphal feminine
> participle at the end of Is 1:26. The descriptive phrase reads
> QiRYfH Ne)eMfNfH. One of our choices in our target language
> refers to faithfulness as an attitude, a basic characteristic.
> The other word we are considering treats faithful as describing
> the activities done by, in this case, the [inhabitants of] the
> town.
>
> The context seems to allow the case for either here. The passage
> could be saying that the city will become faithful or loyal, or
> that its actions will be faithful or dependable. (We see nothing
> here that would suggest the optional translation, "established,"
> suggesting permanence.) So we ask how you all would interpret
> this participle, especially in this case.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts you might have.
>
> Paul and Jimmy
>
> --
> Paul and Dee Zellmer, Jimmy Guingab, Geoffrey Beltran
> Ibanag Translation Project
> Cabagan, Philippines
>
> zellmer AT faith.edu.ph
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: 596547 AT ican.net
> To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')