b-hebrew - )MN in Is 1:26

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: )MN in Is 1:26
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:41:55 +0800

We have just spent an hour discussing the Niphal feminine
participle at the end of Is 1:26. The descriptive phrase reads
QiRYfH Ne)eMfNfH. One of our choices in our target language
refers to faithfulness as an attitude, a basic characteristic.
The other word we are considering treats faithful as describing
the activities done by, in this case, the [inhabitants of] the
town.

The context seems to allow the case for either here. The passage
could be saying that the city will become faithful or loyal, or
that its actions will be faithful or dependable. (We see nothing
here that would suggest the optional translation, "established,"
suggesting permanence.) So we ask how you all would interpret
this participle, especially in this case.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Paul and Jimmy

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines