b-hebrew - Re: Re[2]: The Sons of El

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: The Sons of El
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:02:04 -0700

Peter Kirk wrote:
> > Dave:
> >
> > You are correct that the main text described in the article covers verses
> > 37 to 43. There are a couple of words from verse 8 preserved on another
> > fragment, which he also discusses in this article. They are as follows:
> >
> > bhnchy[l]
> > bny 'l[
> >
> > The text cuts off there, so we can't tell whether the word is 'l, 'lym or
> > 'lhym.
>
> Do I understand that people are trying to reconstruct the text here
> based on a fragment of papyrus or whatever consisting of one complete
> word and two partial words? Might these words not have come from some
> completely different text? And of course there are many other words
> beginning with 'l.

Parchment, I believe, and the answer is, yes. Whether the smaller
fragment actually came from some other text is what I hope to find
out by re-examining the article (hopefully it has a photo). When I
originally compiled my Catalog of Biblical Passages in the Dead
Sea Scrolls (my Masters thesis, now pending publication), for
some reason I left out this fragment; I now want to know why I did
that. I'm guessing that either the letters were too poor quality to
read with certainty (at least for me) or I couldn't verify that the
fragment came from the same scroll (and from the precise position)
as the larger one. My guess is that it was placed where it was by
comparing scribal hands and by stichometry. Of course, a lot
depends on where the small fragment was found in relation to the
larger one, textual predispositions of those reconstructing it, and a
host of other factors, so I doubt we can establish this reading (in
this ms.) with much certainty. 4QDeut(j), OTOH, does read Elohim
as I already mentioned. But that in itself may or may not mean
something, depending on one's view of the nature of cave 4.

> "A Bible that's falling apart means a life that isn't."
>
> Yes, but that much falling apart is ridiculous!

If my Bible is even still in existence 2,000 years from now I'll be
surprised!

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur