b-hebrew - (Fwd) re: Re: The Sons of El

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: (Fwd) re: Re: The Sons of El
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:10:43 -0700

This post from Lloyd Barre came to my private mailbox. We're still
figuring out why, but with his permission, I am posting it to the list.
My reply will follow later.
Dave Washburn

From: Lloyd Barre <barre AT c-zone.net>
To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
Subject: re: Re: The Sons of El
Date sent: 19 Jan 99 16:56:04 -0800

Dave,

> **--------- Original Message follows...

>Lloyd Barre wrote:

> Dear List Members,
>
> I am interested in your opinions on Deut 32:7-9. I have provided a summary
> of my view on it to get things going.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Lloyd Barre
>

> Think back to the older days,
> think over the years, down the ages.
> Ask of your father, let him teach you;
> of your elders, let them enlighten you:
>
> When Elyon gave the nations their inheritance,
> when he divided the sons of men,
> he fixed their bounds according to the number of the sons of El,
> Yahweh's portion is his people,
> Jacob his inheritance.
>

> The introduction begins with the statement that a student may
> learn of an ancient event, the knowledge of which first came to
> his grandfather's generation. The event was an executive decision
> by El who assigned his divine "sons" to rule over various peoples.
> Here Yahweh is made the preeminent "son of El" who has been
> assigned the people of Jacob. This theological scheme is
> illustrated in the following diagram:
>
> El
> |
> Sons of El
> |
> Chemosh Dagon Baal Yahweh Milcom Hadad Qos
> | | | |
> | | |
> Moab Philistia Canaan Jacob Ammon Aram
> Edom

Please note that I will be pasting parts of several other posts into
this. I will do my best to give proper attribution.

I see several unproven assumptions in this. The first is the
assumption that `elyon == El. This has not been shown, and in
fact based on usage in the HB it cannot be shown with any
certainty.

First, the interpretive enterprise is by it nature inductive, begetting of
probability and never ce
rtainty. It always remains a possibility that new data will arise that will
affect or even overthr
ow a conclusion. Thus, the question is whether is given interpretation is
judged to be the most pr
obable, not whether it is certain or "proven."

As I mention in another post, there is every reason to adopt the LXX/DSS over
against the MT readin
g on text-critical grounds. It is the more difficult reading, and the one
that explains how the MT
arose.

We have `elyon standing alone, in compound with El, in
compound with Elohim, in compound with YHWH and in parallel
with YHWH. So the structure above is built on assumption and
overly simplistic, at best.

We are not finally interested in the semantic range of Elyon but with it
meaning in this particular
context. Since I accept the LXX reading, the immediate context relates
Elyon to (bene) El. Also
, Elyon is used in Gen 14:20 with El, lending credence and confirmation to
the contextual argument.
I do not think it is wise to assume that I have stated all my reasons for
my interpretation in on
fell swoop. Perhaps you were wrong to assume my assumptions and the
simplistic nature of my inte
rpretingDave. It just might put me in the mood to bash evangelical
dogmaticism in biblical interpr
etation, and do not really wish to do that. Nor does our chairman.

Another assumption is the reading "sons of El." As Irene Riegner
pointed out,

--
The LXX says "according to the
number of angels of god," "aggelwn theos." BHS notes that an Old

I quite agree; the emendation appears to be made on slim grounds
indeed.

I disagree with both "emendation," "slim grounds," and especially "indeed."
Are you familiar with
the principles of textual criticism? Good. We have hertextualal variants.
You are invited to mak
e a decision based on those principles.

John Ronning offers this explanation:

--
As for the "sons of El/Elohim," the same song/poem says that God
"begot"

I find this unconvincing.

Me too. Patentlconvolutedd.

The commentary of Keil and Delitzsch
(vol. 1 p. 470) says:

--
The Septuagint rendering, "according to the number of the angels
of God," is of no critical value,--in fact, is nothing more than an

Keil and Delitzsch? I wonder if they have any strong
theologicalpredispositionss. Are they not re
flecting the same theological difficulties that gave rise to the MT reading?
The LXX presuppose an
d the DSS show that the underlying text was something like bene elim or bene
elohim. I mentioned P
s 29 and Ps 82 to support the view that text is not dealing with mala'kim
(subordinate divine messe
ngers) but with being high up in El's celestial family, his sons, as we find
in Canaanite mythology
. Yahweh is here give rule over a national group--Jacob and enjoys the
status of other high gods s
ubordinate only to El Elyon, the highest god, indeed the creator god
according to Gen 14:20.

If this is correct, the reading "children of Israel" is much to be
preferred and the question of the "Sons of El" becomes moot.

How can the nations be divided according to the number of sons of Israel?
Can you offer a more pro
bable interpretation than I have. What does that mean?
more pertinent question would be to address the context: is this
really talking about a prehistoric event when El or `Elyon divided up
the peoples, or does the following context suggest that what is
being described is the way YHWH separated Jacob/Israel out from
among the nations to be His specially chosen?

I am going with the former as being the more probable interpretation for the
reasons given above.
You wish to argue that this text identifies Yahweh and Elyon, that the MT is
the superior reading,
then you now have some arguments to meet as well as a need to build a
positive case for your rival
interpretations.

I have no interest in taking an aggressive posture here. But if you are
inclined to characterize my thinking as uncritical or simplistic, I would be
inclined to demonstrate otherwise with some force. I do not wish to do that.
A congenial tone is preferable, don't you think?

Thank you,

Lloyd