b-hebrew - Re: Gen. 2:19 (correction)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen. 2:19 (correction)
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:00:21 +1100

Just a correction for a big boo-boo I made in my last message. I wrote:

> [...] Waw Consecutive verbs serve to advance events
> in a narrative. They are not to be translated as pluperfects. They are
> the next event in a narrative. You would normally use a waw consecutive
> form to say, "X had happened." You would use a waw consecutive to say,
> "Then X happened."

Of course, I meant to say "You would *NOT* normally use a waw consecutive
form to say,
"X had happened."
Regards,
GEORGE ATHAS
Dept of Semitic Studies,
University of Sydney
- Email: gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au
Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at
http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm

  • Re: Gen. 2:19 (correction), George Athas, 01/20/1999