b-hebrew - Re: Assaulting an Impasse

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Assaulting an Impasse
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 10:40:52 -0500

Dear Jonathan and others,

I don't mean to prolong discussion of a distasteful subject, but I am
trying to wrap up loose ends to the members' satisfaction.

you wrote:
<snip>

...I do not like to read
> about suspending membership in a scholarly fiscussion group because of
holding
> unorthodox (or un-Orthodox) opinions. I hope that it is not because of
the section of
> Barre's letter cited above that he is being suspended. If it is, I would
like to be
> unsubscribed. Please clarify.

Dr. Barre was never suspended. I requested to Jonathan Robie, the list's
owner, that he be put on probation, and that *never* because Dr. Barre
holds some 'unorthodox' or any other particular opinions as I trust my
other posts have clarified. Probation means that his posts would come to
the staff prior to being posted to the list.

Why probation? Context. To wit, I posted to the list the b-hebrew charter
about a week ago in the context of list members getting personal (or
off-topic, which, btw, is not an issue in this situation) on this list. At
about the same time, Jonathan Robie the list owner spoke decisively about
his expectations for respectful discussion. It was then that Dr. Barre
posted the letters to which I have referred. As a result of the timing of
Dr. Barre's posts, I came under the impression that Dr. Barre might be
flaunting the list's charter. His gracious replies have since convinced me
that he will be more careful in the future and that I can, in fact, retract
my request for him to be put on probation.

Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor
Living Word Church