b-hebrew - Re: Assaulting an Impasse

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Fritz Knobloch <fknobloc AT deans.umd.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Assaulting an Impasse
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:50:28 -0500

Bryan,

So far as I can see, the lines that you quote from Barre are neither
controversial nor condescending. They simply allude to the prevailing
scholarly reticence to construct history from the pre-monarchical
traditions. What's more, Barre goes on to conclude that it is "highly likely
that the HB does contain traditions that had a pre-monarchic origin." His
assessment of the Albright school is widely shared. Barre doesn't make ad
hominem arguments, but discusses ideas. That (not censorship) is what ought
to happen on a list that values learned contributions.

Bryan Rocine wrote:

> There are learned people of faith on this mailing list, both Jewish and
> Christian. They are to be respectful of the faiths of each other and
> yours. A thread of this nature will be innappropriate on this list as it
> will be impossible to carry on such a discussion without creating offense.
> I have no doubt you realize the sensitive nature of such a topic, and for
> this reason I am disappointed that you would use this forum to provoke list
> members of faith with such condescending words as your first two sentences
> shown below.
>
> Are you intent on creating controversy and crisis? If so please take your
> effort to another list. As for now, I am asking Jonathan Robie to put you
> on probation.

> > Many or perhaps most members on this list know there a deep, learned
> > skepticism prevails with regard to our historical knowledge of
> > pre-monarchic "Israel." These days very few are willing to commit to
> > historical reconstructions regarding the eras of the patriarchs, the
> > exodus, the wanderings, the "conquest," or even for the so-called ear of
> > the Judges.

Dr. Frederick W. Knobloch
Department of Religion
La Salle University