b-hebrew - Re: tense-aspect-mood (was: scient. meth.)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • Subject: Re: tense-aspect-mood (was: scient. meth.)
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 15:05:50 +0800

Rolf Furuli wrote:

> If wayyiqtol is treated as a present why could it not be completely time
> indifferent? Do you have good arguments for WAYYIQTOL being different from
> YIQTOL? How in the world can a simple conjunction have such a tremendous
> transforming power? Has anybode explained this satisfactorily?

Rolf,

The wayyiqtol cannot be completely time indifferent because it is use to move
time
along in narratives. I'm certain that any student of linguistics like you
would agree
that time does indeed move through the narratives, and the vast majority of
this
movement is not marked adverbially. The only force that is consistently
present is
the verb, and the wayyiqtol moves the story along most expeditiously. How
could you
then divorce it from time?

Because of your impassioned and lengthy arguments over the non-difference of
the
wayyiqtol and yiqtol, I dare not step into a debate on the differences of the
two. I
sincerely doubt that anything I say would shake your position in the least,
and right
now the rest of the listmembers are probably so saturated with that debate
that many
of them would probably not even read the posts, much less decide on the basis
of
further debate. I will simply state my position: the convention in BH
grammar *does*
use the wayyiqtol and not the simple yiqtol as the main form in historical
narrative
passages. If the deictic center is taken as the time of narration, then the
vast
majority of these wayyiqtols occur in past time. If you are willing to allow
for some
cases of "past tense" that include the deictic center in those languages
which express
tense in the verbs, using as your basis that the vast majority of "past
tense" cases
do not have this problem, then why argue that the wayyiqtol cannot carry with
it the
element of +past simply because you find a small percentage of exceptions to
that
rule?

As for my suggestion that the wayyiqtol is the moving of the deictic center
to the
time of the narrative event, making the deictic center coincide with the
referent
time, there is one big problem. If this is the case, then we should express
cases
where the narratives are clearly marked throughout as past time. This is the
normal
pattern for "histories" as opposed to "stories," and is very much an option
in the
two-tense language that I work with in the Philippines. (Of course, the
Ibanag
language *is* a tense-language, and the Hebrew does not appear to be.) But
its
absence in the tanakh would seem to suggest that my suggestion is not valid.

> >> 2Kings 17:34 To this day they do (participle) according to the former
> >>manner.
> >>

> >Follow me closely on this on. Explicitly, both English and Hebrew have C
> >as a moving
> >point that comes to, but does not include, the time of writing.
> >Implicitly, the time
> >of writing is included. And RT moves to coincide with C.
>
> I have never heard of a moving C before. Is this a novel thought?

Not so much a novel thought as a new expression of an old thought. I'm
basically
trying to express in terms of deictic center the idea, "Wherever (or at
whatever time
[until this day]) you examine, they do according to former manner." This is
clearly
what I see happening here in both the Hebrew and the English. Perhaps you
have a more
elegant way to say this that does not require a moving C.

hth,

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines