b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1.1-2, hyh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Bryan Rocine <596547 AT ican.net>, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1.1-2, hyh
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 14:42:06 -0500

Dear Bryan,
I haven't studied every occurrence of HYH either, but your examples below are
easily explained.
Re: Gen 3:22 "the man is (or has become) like one of us". In this case HYH
cannot be followed by L, because L'CHaD would say "the man became one of
us." The necessity of using C, "like" precludes the use of L. On the other
hand, HYH may be a present perfect as is common with other verbs like YaD`.

Re: Gen. 15:17 "the sun set and thick darkness came"
It seems to me that HYH is not "became" but "came," in the same way that "the
spirit of Yahweh came upon .... " and "the word of Yahweh came..." in other
contexts.

I am sure that HYH needs more study, and you may be right.

Lee R. Martin