b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1.1-2, hyh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • To: Bryan Rocine <596547 AT ican.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1.1-2, hyh
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 10:47:20 +1100

Bryan Rocine wrote:

> B-Haverim,
>
> What do you guys think of the qatal of hyh in v. 2 weha'arec haytah tohu
> vabohu ? here it is in series with a verbless clause and a participle
> clause. why did the hyh surface? why not a verbless clause? I happened
> to get a sneak preview of the intriguing article by Vincent DeCaen on the
> verbless clause that is coming out in the new Eisenbrauns publication
> edited by Cindy Miller. in it, he's considering hyh to be notional in
> verbless clauses and wondering why hyh surfaces sometimes and not others.
> might it be that hyh is not merely a copula? given the loaded use of hyh
> in Gen 1, might weha'arec hayta tohu vabohu mean "and the earth
> *became*..." or "and the earth had become..."?

Perhaps: "and the earth had been ..." OR "and the earth used to be ..." ?

> it's interesting to me how such a lexical and verbal semantic micro issue
> can have such a macro effect on our understanding of Gen 1.

All the more reason to continue research into the Hebrew language!

> Shalom,

Ditto,GEORGE ATHAS
Dept of Semitic Studies,
University of Sydney
- Email: gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au
Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at
http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm