b-hebrew - Jesus and Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Lloyd Barre <barre AT c-zone.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Jesus and Yahweh
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 19:23:16 -0800

---Lloyd Barre wrote:

>As I stated, I don't know if any other early Christian thinkers
identified Jesus and Yahweh, but I am convinced that our text does,
even in the face of your counter-arguments.<

I have spent the last three or more years of my life extensively
studying the subject of Christology. My conclusion? None of the NT or
OT writers ever viewed the Messiah as Yahweh incarnate. The preeminent
OT scholar John L. Mckenzie agrees with this statement when he writes:

Dear Edgar,

Then I would have to disagree with your conclusion for the reasons stated
previously. In the temple vision, Isaiah saw Jesus'=Yahweh's glory. If
this texts creates theological problems, so be it. But theology should not
dictate exegesis, and that is what I think has happened here and continues
to happen. But what has this to do with Hebrew linguistics?

Thank you for your interesting comments.

Lloyd