b-hebrew - Re: Jesus and Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Eric Weiss" <eweiss AT gte.net>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Re: Jesus and Yahweh
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 10:16:24

Since I'm somewhat responsible for this thread on "Jesus and Yahweh" (since
it developed from my original query re: how to translate Exodus 3:14), let
me throw in a parting comment, since we've been advised that some of this
discussion is beyond B-HEBREW limits.

Peter's recognition of Jesus as "the Messiah" is recorded as having come by
revelation, not by human knowledge (Matthew 16:16). Thomas' declaration
that Jesus was "My God" (if it was an expression of Jesus' deity, rather
than just an exclamation to God) is recorded as coming by "seeing" Jesus
for who He was (John 20:28). Paul wrote that his understanding of Christ
came by revelation (Galatians 1:16). The disciples were said to have
recognized Jesus for who He was (EPIGINWSKW) when "their eyes were opened"
(i.e., it was given them to be able to see and know Him - Deut. 29:4; 29:3
in Hebrew) (Luke 14:31). Jesus was said to have "opened their minds" to
understand the Scriptures" about Himself (Luke 24:45). Paul wrote that no
one can say "Jesus is Lord (KURIOS)" except by the Holy Spirit (I
Corinthians 12:3).

Coming to believe that Jesus is YHWH (or, rather, to believe that He is God
the Son as opposed to just the Son of God) may ultimately be more a matter
of revelation than of textual exegesis (as, perhaps, coming to know God may
also be more a matter of revelation than of Scriptural dexterity), as
neither side seems to be able to persuade the other based on exegesis and
grammar alone.