b-hebrew - Re: Holek + infinitive

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Holek + infinitive
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:19:28 -0500

hi Lee,
I haven't read Joosten's ZA article. i'm under the influence of Muraoka
and Anderson on word order is such clauses. the S-P order is unmarked, and
the P-S functions as descriptive. my hunch is Joosten's idea would
complement this one. however, how about Joseph speaking to his family on
his deathbed: "'ani met"? in a dependent 'a$er clause, i wonder if the
participle-subject is even possible.

Shalom,
Bryan

You wrote,
> n>BH is with the participle, no auxiliary neccessary. My wife calls,
> >"Dinner!" and i reply, "'ani holek!" we both know it will be a couple
> >minutes before i break away from writing e-mail
>
> Dear Bryan,
> Jan Joosten has written that "ani holek" is different from "holek ani."
> "Ani holek" would be used if you were in the process of going. "Holek
ani"
> would be used as in your example above, immediate future. Contrast
Genesis
> 9:12 (where the covenant-making is in process) with Ezek. 2:3 (where the
> sending of Ezek. is imminent). Have you found Joosten's argument
> persuasive?
>
> Lee R. Martin

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor