b-hebrew - Re: participle for present?-br

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "yochanan bitan" <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: participle for present?-br
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:17:01 -0500

mah nishmah, Randall,

You wrote:
>hope you enjoyed entering into the fun of the later examples.

behexlet!

>so when and where are prefix verbs ["imperfective"? a semantic term--rb]
>used for the something happening in an actualized "present"?
>are prefix verbs as compatible as BH grammar writers seem to assume?
>would they have been "forms of choice" for any of the hypothetical
>examples?

depends on the context.

if the question is "what do you do?"
'elmad `ivrit

"what are you doing?"
'ani lomed `ivrit

and if you can imagine the question, "what does your action say you are?"
lamadti `ivrit

>{bryan wrote:}
>>>"I am speaking to you right now."
a. adabber elexa `ata
b. ani medabber elexa `ata
c. dibbarti elexa `ata
d. ani dover elexa `ata
e. ??

>>none are BH. i don't think `atah is *really* a BH temporal adverb so
>>much
>>as it is a pragmatic marker of culmination, either of a series of events
>>or
>>of an arguement or exhortation.{end quote}

>emet? (and you may always write an 'e', too.) while it is true that
`atta
>is regularly an epistolary and rhetorical marker of reaching a significant
>point of communication, it has a plain sense as well:
>jud 11.7: madua` ba'tem elay `ata?
>(or with participle) hag 2.3: me atem ro'im oto `ata? [=how(as what) are
>you seeing it now?"

e. (like that?) the "argement which precedes the `atah may be understood.
the sense would be in Hag 2:3 "as what are you seeing it now, i.e. with
all this input."

>so what would a student say to a biblical hebrew teacher, after eating
some
>disagreable food on a nauseous stomach?
>would they run out of class with their mouth shut? --perhaps not bad
advice
>for someone in that predicament.
>for the loquacious, i might recommend: hineni meqi ...

how about, "oy!"

seriously, hineni meqi sounds grammatically appropriate. also 'ani meqi.

lehitraot,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor