b-hebrew - Re: Holek + infinitive

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: yochanan bitan <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Holek + infinitive
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 12:55:56 -0500

(bryan rocine commented on John ronning's example:}
>Gen 25:32 is the only example which may be construed as expressing the
>immanent future using holek as a sort of auxilliary.{end quote}

I would read the phrase as "I am expiring ["going"] and will die".
i.e. holex 'am going' is an idiom that means "I'm almost history" and lamut
reinforces that.

in that sense i would agree with bryan that holex is not a biblical hebrew
auxillary for the near future, but is idiomatic with 'die'.

braxot
randall