b-hebrew - Re: Niphal of NG` (Josh 8:15)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Niphal of NG` (Josh 8:15)
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 15:04:18 -0500

Peter_Kirk AT sil.org wrote:

> L. Martin wrote: "Thus, in every case where God is the subject of a
> niphal verb, it must logically be tolerative."
>
> Hold on, this is getting a bit theological and/or philosophical. OK,
> in one sense anything that happens is tolerated by God.

Right, that's exactly what I said.

> But consider
> the niphal of YR' "fear", of which God is often the subject.

According to Even-Shoshan, there is only one niphal of YR', Psalm 130:4. And
certainly, God allows this fear.

> Do we
> really have to take this to mean that God allows himself to be feared,
> by men, or simply that men, of their own free will, fear God.

The fact that God allows it does not contradict the fact that men do so of
their own
free will. If I allow someone to give me a Christmas gift, that does not
mean that I
force them to do it.

I repeat, I do not doubt the existence of tolerative actions, but I do not
think we
should make "tolerative" a category of the Niphal.

Lee R. Martin