b-hebrew - Re: Niphal of NG` (Josh 8:15)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Niphal of NG` (Josh 8:15)
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 98 22:19:17

On Tue 8 Dec 98 (23:41:02 +0800), zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph wrote:
> Doug Kasten asked me for my opinion about the translation of
> WaYYiNNfG`U in Josh 8:15. He listed several translations, all of
> which translated this niphal form as "let themselves be driven
> back." This is the only occurrence in the Tanakh of this word in
> the niphal. His question had to do with the "let themselves." The
> lexicons I looked in had this self-volition included in the niphal
> meaning of the stem, either explicitly (as does Holladay) or
> implicitly (as does BDB).

Many years ago in college I did a study on the Battle of Ai in Joshua 8.
WaYYiNaG:`uW was explained to me by my tutor (J Alec Motyer) as the
3 m pl Perf Niphal of NG` to smite; the "tolerative Niphal", "they
allowed themselves to be smitten".

There is a similar construction in Isaiah 65:1, NiD:RaSh:TiY L:LoW'
Sha'aLuW NiMTse'ThiY L:Lo' BiQ:ShuNiY, where NiD:RaSh:TiY and
NiMTse'ThiY are likewise "tolerative Niphals": "I allowed myself to be
consulted by those who did not ask; I let myself be found by them that
sought me not". Also Isaiah 55:6, B:HiMMaTs:'oW, "while he lets himself
be found".

Again in Ezekiel we have the tolerative Niphal: Ha'iDDaRoSh 'iDDaReSh
LaHeM "should I indeed let myself be enquired of by them?" (Ezek 14:3);
also see examples in Ezekiel 20:3, 31; 36:37; and Zephaniah 1:6,
W:'eTh-HaNN:SoWGiYM, the Niphal participle of SuWG "those allowing
themselves to turn away...".

ShaLoWM

Ben
--