b-hebrew - Re: Jephthah and his daughter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ita Sheres <isheres AT mail.sdsu.edu>
  • To: Ron Rhoades <rrhoades AT jps.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jephthah and his daughter
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 23:52:58 -0700 (PDT)

While your detailed response to some very difficult questions regarding
the Daughter is interesting and worth while remembering, it is important
to also note that Jeph. is not portrayed as spiritually whole as you
suggest; he is a warrior first and foremost; he is an outcast who is
brought back by the elders of the tribe only because they believe that he
has the physical prowess to ultimately defeat the Ammonites. Jeph. is
thus somewhat insecure and not too clear on his position in Gilead; in
fact when his family throws him out he is joined by what the text calls
"empty people." Moreover, when he makes his infamous vow, God's spirit
was already with him - why did he then need the vow? Even more curious,
when he sees his Daughter in a welcoming mode rushing to celebrate his
victory, he tears up his clothes and blames her for "bringing him low" -
as if his vow was "her fault." If the whole thing is about spirituality
etc.
as you suggest in your interpretation - why is there so much mourning
going on? In the last verse of Jud.11 "the daughters of Israel" go to
"letanot" which also means to mourn! You are right to point out that the
word has other meanings and that it can stand for a elebration thus
placing the Daughter in the center of the whole story - she is the one who
is remembered here, not her father who dies with no children and no real
immortality.

Ita Sheres.