b-hebrew - Re: Jeremiah 23:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: B-hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: Jonathan Robie <jonathan AT texcel.no>
  • Subject: Re: Jeremiah 23:2
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 14:53:45 +0800

Jonathan Robie wrote:

> Is there a document that explains the transcription scheme for B-Hebrew?

Jonathan,

"Traditionally" (because it's the only one that's been formally suggested in
the past
couple three years!), the list uses a transliteration scheme based on the
Michigan-Claremont-Westminster machine-readable Hebrew Bible. However, as
list-owner,
you have the option to suggest something else. There is even less loyalty to
this
scheme on this list than there is to the suggested transliteration scheme on
B-Greek.
I don't know what keyboarding scheme is used by, say, the Hebrew version of
Word,
since Microsoft chooses not to make that version readily available for people
who live
outside the Middle East. It might form an option for a transliteration
scheme, as
might the keyboarding for, say, the Ezra font from SIL.

Anyway, here's what we have right now:

Consonants Vowels

Alef ) Patah A
Bet B Qamets F
Gimel G Segol E
Dalet D Tsere "
Heh H Hireq I
Vav(waw) W Holem O or OW [plene]
Zayin Z Qamets Hatuf F
Het X Qibbuts U
Tet + Shureq W.
Yod Y Shewa :
Kaf K Hatef Patah :A
Lamed L Hatef Segol :E
Mem M Hatef Qamets :F
Nun N
Samek S
Peh P Miscellaneous
Ayin (
Tsade C Ketiv *
Qof Q Qere **
Resh R Dagesh .
Sin & Meqqef -
Shin $
Tav T

The order of transcription is consonant (dagesh) vowel. For example, the
Piel form of
"command", 3ms, is CIW.FH

Sure hope this helps. Even more, I hope you can lead us to come up with
something
that might be a bit more intuitive, because I sure have a time reading it!

Paul
Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines

zellmer AT faith.edu.ph