b-hebrew - Re: Jephthah and his daughter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ita Sheres <isheres AT mail.sdsu.edu>
  • To: Bryan Rocine <596547 AT ican.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jephthah and his daughter
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 22:30:07 -0700 (PDT)

If we assume that the Daughter fulfilled a ritual function (especially
when retreating or "going down" to the mountains) which was somehow
related to "virginity" - then indeed it is plausible to assume that she
was "dedicated" to God in a priestly sense rather than as a sacrifice
along the lines of the Greek Iphigenia. Other than that, Jeph. probably
"did to her as he promised" which must mean sacrifice for which he was
derided by the Rabbis and the rest of the Jewish tradition; he is seen as
rash and particularly a "boor" who did not consult with the priest of his
time and therefore did a terrible thing.