b-hebrew - Jephthah and his daughter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Jephthah and his daughter
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 20:29:45 -0400

Dear B-Haverim,

I find it very difficult to believe Jephthah sacrificed his daughter by
killing her(Judges 11). Might he have put her away to a life of seclusion
or celibacy? We don't see blood, not even a smoking gun. Are there
answers either in legend, ancient Levantine anthropology or the Biblical
text itself?

Then, never mind the historicity of the account. How can we reconcile such
an episode with the literary composition of the Book of Judges particularly
and the Hebrew Bible generally?

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine