acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] full papers on acawiki?

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Jodi Schneider <jschneider AT pobox.com>
  • To: Jon Phillips <jon AT fabricatorz.com>
  • Cc: "AcaWiki general \(listserv\)" <acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] full papers on acawiki?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 10:44:25 +0100

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 5:49 AM, Jon Phillips <jon AT fabricatorz.com> wrote:
Would people in our community be opposed to acawiki being a place of
hosting full academic papers?

That would be a different goal from summaries.
I would consider that a "wikisource for academic papers".

Why not just host archives of papers?

We would need to be much more careful about copyright checks. We would need a lot of storage space.

Could longer term add
peer-review and other ways to detect quality of papers?

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/33_gb_of_scientific_papers_-_and_a_manifesto_-_upl.php

I think its important to stay on target with the current mission, but
if we provide an outlet for new and really old papers, there will be
even more incentive for people to both use the site for posting and
for helping clean up submissions.

For new papers, there are already discipline-specific places like arXiv and SSRN, as well as directories of open access journals (e.g. DOAJ).

For old papers, that's definitely a need. Good-quality conversion of PDFs to HTML (more than just basic OCR) would be a plus.

Thoughts?

If we are doing academic summaries what are the main places
for full academic papers that support open access?

Take a look at DOAJ -- you'll get a long, long listing of open access journals:
http://www.doaj.org/

SHERPA also has several projects that would be useful to look at:
http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/

There are also institutional repositories and disciplinary repositories. One of SHERPA's projects is a directory of open access repositories. I'm not really familiar with it but it looks like that could be helpful in finding existing repositories:
http://www.opendoar.org/

And then I will
ask, why don't we have partnerships and/or affiliations with those
organizations to get their papers into our archives, and we can
support them in other ways, as in having summaries of their
competitors articles?

The idea of being a repository-of-repositories doesn't really appeal to me -- there are a lot of issues there. Finding a home for the core stuff that needs a space *does* make sense (e.g. old public domain articles). The main issues there are:
(a) storage
(b) ensuring copyright clearance (which can be complex to check)
(c) bulk ingest
(d) adequate metadata (to ensure discovery)

What could we do that, say, a category or namespace in wikisource couldn't do?

Aren't the kinds of papers you're talking about already within wikisource's inclusion policy?
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/sources/wiki/Wikisource:What_is_Wikisource%3F#What_do_we_exclude.3F

-Jodi

Thoughts on these things? I'm trying to get reality assessment in on
this this month...

Jon

--
Jon Phillips