acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] Bugzilla confusions

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Reid Priedhorsky <reid AT reidster.net>
  • To: acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] Bugzilla confusions
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 11:03:41 -0400

On 5/25/11 10:53 AM, Christopher Adams wrote:

Finally, is it useful to add acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org to the
default CC for bugs in the AcaWiki component? I don't see any familiar
addresses in the bug I reported, and it seems useful to alert the
community of problems people are reporting.

As a rule I discourage signing up mailing lists for bug reports.
Instead we should provide instructions on how to subscribe and
unsubscribe from bug reports.

What I was thinking was, there needs to be some connection between the bug reports and the people who care and/or can do something about it. If that connection is missing, the bug database is kind of a black hole.

For example, if someone reports an AcaWiki bug that I could fix, right now I have no opportunity to fix it because I don't know it exists. But if all new bugs got subscribed to a mailing list (and this is actually common, though I could certainly agree that acawiki-general isn't the right list), I could find out about that opportunity easily.

I personally don't know how to sign up for cc's on all Bugzilla bugs that start in the AcaWiki component, but I do know how to sign up for a mailing list. Conversely, if I wanted to unsubscribe from new bug reports but stay subscribed to some particular bugs of interest, it's easy to do that by unsubbing from a mailing list but I don't relish wading through Bugzilla to do it. I think a lot of people are in this boat.

Hope that clarifies my comment.

Reid

p.s. No need to CC me; I read the list.

--
I work for IBM, and sending this e-mail might be part of my job.
However, I speak for myself only, not the company.