acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] Action plan for AcaWiki hosting change

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT fabricatorz.com>
  • To: Reid Priedhorsky <reid AT reidster.net>
  • Cc: Danese Cooper <dcooper AT wikimedia.org>, Erik Moeller <erik AT wikimedia.org>, payers AT wikimedia.org, acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org, Research into Wikimedia content and communities <wiki-research-l AT lists.wikimedia.org>
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] Action plan for AcaWiki hosting change
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:45:24 -0500

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Reid Priedhorsky <reid AT reidster.net> wrote:
> On 4/26/11 4:06 PM, Jon Phillips wrote:
>>

>> Hi Reid, thanks for the detailed discussion. Our best course of action
>> is to transition to the virtualized setup at wikimedia foundation to
>> minimize steps.
>>
>> There is no reason to transition twice if we can move to WMF
>> infrastructure soon. There is no burning fire on CC hosting.
>
> Hi Jon,
>
> Thanks for the reply! An implicit purpose for my proposal was to light a
> fire under people, and that seems to have been successful.

Excellent!

> I see two problems with the current setup which feel urgent to me.
>
> First, the current AcaWiki skin is not so good. For the reasons I've
> mentioned earlier, I believe this negatively impacts our ability to grow the
> community.

Great, Fabricatorz is making a new theme. We will try to be as
transparent as possible about this...ideas and thoughts on this super
valuable!

> Second, I am concerned about the reliability of the current hosting. For
> one, people have had difficulty getting problems resolved recently. This
> concern is shared with others - I know at least one person who is making
> regular dumps of AcaWiki because he does not have confidence in the backup
> plan (or, there isn't one).

> Moving from CC to an intermediate provider would solve both these problems.
> However, I agree that one move is better than two - I'm happy to discuss
> other solutions as well.

Ok, so the problem sounds more like a development problem. I have
extreme confidence in the CC sysadmin who is working on this who is a
good friend of mine, and in close contact about issues.

On th dev front, Fabricatorz are taking a lead on resolving issues. It
appears all issues have been resolved from the CC issue tracker.

So, please file bugs on the new wikimedia bug tracker if you see
problems and we will work to resolve them together.

> The reason I feel urgency is this: I'm itching to start work on the
> annotated bibliography of wiki research we've been discussing on
> wiki-research-l (which would quadruple the number of summaries in AcaWiki),
> and I'm uncomfortable doing so with these two problems unsolved (or, at
> least, without a concrete plan for solving them and a credible, short
> timeline).

I understand. I'm on this. Don't you worry :)

Best thing next imo is to file a bug about this and spec out your plan
and what it will take. Sounds like some development needed. Ideal if
you can do everything with the current setup and not need ssh access.

> One scenario I would like to avoid is the move to WMF being "real soon now"
> for a long time, as that's a common issue with such moves. But, we could be
> on Referata within a few weeks easily.

This is high priority task. But, it should not block your development,
planning and so forth. If you let us all know what you want, we can
plan better.

Cheers

Jon

--