acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] Proposal: new hosting for AcaWiki

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Reid Priedhorsky <reid AT reidster.net>
  • To: wiki-research-l AT lists.wikimedia.org, acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] Proposal: new hosting for AcaWiki
  • Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 13:53:31 -0400

On 4/2/11 5:59 AM, Jodi Schneider wrote:

Yes--keeping the domain name is important. Otherwise, we break all
links, and alienate existing users -- many of whom do not read these
lists, and who may check the site infrequently. Since we're a nonprofit,
we should ask about a discounted price.

OK, that makes sense. I am happy to make the inquiry later in the month, or someone else could do it sooner.

Further, we might want to change hosting again sometime in the future
(for instance if Referata went away or significantly changed).

I see that "Referata offers hosting of semantic wikis" but I hadn't
heard of it before, though WikiWorks is well-known. What's your
connection with Referata, and how stable are they? It appears that
hosting is funded by the fees, with the free hosting just coming along
for the ride...

No connection. I suggest it for three reasons:

1. It's a concrete proposal for folks to respond to.

2. Yaron is apparently one of the principals of Semantic MediaWiki and thus invested in the MW/SMW community.

3. The only alternative I found in some brief searching was Wikia, which seemed less desirable because leaving Wikia seems to be hard (people report that they leave your wiki up even if you move somewhere else and ask for it to be turned off) and because they would put ads on it.

I'm happy to chip in on funding if needed.

No--the existing skin needs improvement. Is there info about the default
Refarata skin?

I did not check. They do seem to have the Vector skin available (that's the new one that Wikipedia uses, right?).

It's great to have your offer of help for the transition. But one
challenge is ongoing technical leadership. I'd like some clarification
from Referata about what is included in hosting. Any volunteers for
technical administration would be welcome, too!

Does this answer your questions?

http://referata.com/wiki/Referata:Features

I've proposed the "Ad-supported" ($50/mo list) and "Enterprise" ($80/mo) service levels. My take on ad-supported means that we could put our own ads on it if we want, but they don't put any of theirs, but that's something to clarify certainly.

I'm happy to be on top of technical issues and liaise with the vendor on getting stuff fixed, on a best effort basis (i.e., no guarantees of response time, no action if I'm on vacation, etc.). I have no interest in hacking LocalSettings.php, etc., but it looks like the vendor would take care of that.

I'm also happy to do the import/export tasks I proposed earlier.

Reid