xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM and Crimson

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Kevin Herrboldt <kevin AT puppethead.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM and Crimson
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 13:52:31 -0500

On Thursday, Jun 5, 2003, at 12:17 US/Central, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

OK. It looks like XOM resolves external entities regardless of the setting of http://xml.org/sax/features/external-general-entities so I've added some special case code to handle that. The next release should allow you to build with Crimson without validating. However, the canonicalizer is still broken due to Crimson white space handling errors, and thus the unit tests fail. I don't see any easy way to work around that, I'm afraid.

Most excellent. I think supporting Crimson as well as possible can only help the adoption of XOM, since XOM becomes a simple drop-in package to add. I hate the giant size of Xerces, so I'm avoiding it.

Why wasn't Sun smart and install Crimson (and other add-ons) as extensions instead of putting them into classes.jar where they can't be upgraded? Blah.