xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM and Crimson

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Kevin Herrboldt <kevin AT puppethead.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM and Crimson
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 11:13:12 -0400

Crimson seems to work fine with XOM when using validation, but if I try to use Crimson without validation I get the following error (Mac OS X, Java 1.4.1):

You can't use Crimson without validation, because Crimson provides no other way to resolve external entity references, which XOM requires. (Crimson does not support the http://xml.org/sax/features/external-general-entities feature). This is one of several defects in Crimson.

There are a lot of workarounds in XOM for Crimson bugs, and quite a few things I haven't figured out how to work around yet. Youu've just seen the tip of the iceberg. Crimson cannot run all the XOM unit tests successfully, and is not conformant to the XML 1.0 specification. I strongly recommend you use Xerces instead.

Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)
http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA