xom-interest - RE: [XOM-interest] Sparta: similar to XOM.

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "O'Brien-Strain, Eamonn" <eob AT exch.hpl.hp.com>
  • To: "'Elliotte Rusty Harold'" <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "'xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [XOM-interest] Sparta: similar to XOM.
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 13:54:49 -0700

I have not yet run the Oasis conformance tests. Probably they should be done
before doing a "stable" Sparta release. (The current release is designated
"beta".)

I did run Sparta on all the Oasis XML test cases just to make sure I had no
bad bugs (like NullPointerExceptions) in the code and to use for performance
measurements. This was particularly useful for making sure I could handle
various non-Latin Unicode encodings.

Sparta does handle some well-formedness checks, like making sure that
elements names have correct characters. However, because Sparta does not
validate DTDs and is designed to be as fast and small as possible, it ignores
everything it can in the <!DOCTYPE ...> section and so there are bound to be
some well-formedness checks that it fails -- but these should not effect the
DOM tree.

So, the goal is that Sparta should handle all the well-formedness checks that
effect the Sparta DOM tree, but it should not add code complexity or size to
do other checks.

__
Eamonn O'Brien-Strain
HP Labs