xom-interest - RE: [XOM-interest] Sparta: similar to XOM.

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "O'Brien-Strain, Eamonn" <eob AT exch.hpl.hp.com>
  • Cc: "'xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [XOM-interest] Sparta: similar to XOM.
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 07:54:50 -0400

At 11:06 PM -0700 9/29/02, O'Brien-Strain, Eamonn wrote:

Perhaps, though I am a little bit suspicious of overuse of unchecked exceptions. Despite some of the arguments against checked exceptions (like the tendency of harried programmers to swallow them in their code rather than propagating them or otherwise dealing with them) I still think the explicit declarations make for safer code. However I do think that some of the arguments that you and Bruce Eckel make are pretty valid, and perhaps I will change my mind on this one.

The really telling point here is that it beats no exceptions. Sparta dislikes exceptions so much that it isn't even making the checks so that errors can go completely undetected. Runtime exceptions are a step up from that.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo AT metalab.unc.edu | Writer/Programmer |
| XML in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition (O'Reilly, 2002) |
| http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xian2/ |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0596002920/cafeaulaitA/ |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: http://www.cafeaulait.org/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/ |