xom-interest - RE: [XOM-interest] Sparta: similar to XOM.

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "O'Brien-Strain, Eamonn" <eob AT exch.hpl.hp.com>
  • To: "'Elliotte Rusty Harold'" <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>, "O'Brien-Strain, Eamonn" <eob AT exch.hpl.hp.com>, "'xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [XOM-interest] Sparta: similar to XOM.
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 13:15:02 -0700

[...]

> Sparta appears to be an XML 1.0, pre-namespaces API. It basically
> ignores namespaces.

Yes, this is a fair characterization. I should put something like it clearly
in the documentation.

> They can be treated as normal attributes, and the
> namespace handling logic can be rolled into application code. This is
> essentially the SAX1/DOM1 approach. But that's really painful, which
> is why we have SAX2 and DOM2.

Yep. I should also put something in the document that says something like:
"If your application cares about namespace URIs, Sparta is probably not
suitable. Instead you should look at XOM or a W3C-compliant package (such as
the Thermopylae wrapper around Sparta)."

__
Eamonn O'Brien-Strain
HP Labs
eob AT hpl.hp.com