xom-interest - RE: [XOM-interest] Sparta: similar to XOM.

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "O'Brien-Strain, Eamonn" <eob AT exch.hpl.hp.com>
  • Cc: "'xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [XOM-interest] Sparta: similar to XOM.
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 19:03:43 -0400

At 3:39 PM -0700 9/29/02, O'Brien-Strain, Eamonn wrote:

Sparta was originally designed to run on very small devices like PDAs, watches, electronic jewelry, and small appliances. In that context it seems reasonable to trade-off code-size and performance against some error checking for conditions that do not effect the resulting DOM model.

The XMLPULL folks make this argument too. I don't buy it. Piccolo is fully conformant, modulo bugs, and it's only 114K, and could probably be smaller if it didn't include support for external entities. If that's too big for a micro-environment, then that environment's too small for XML.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo AT metalab.unc.edu | Writer/Programmer |
| XML in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition (O'Reilly, 2002) |
| http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xian2/ |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0596002920/cafeaulaitA/ |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: http://www.cafeaulait.org/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/ |