xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Sparta: similar to XOM.

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "O'Brien-Strain, Eamonn" <eob AT exch.hpl.hp.com>, "'xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Sparta: similar to XOM.
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 08:57:33 -0400

At 4:45 PM -0700 9/27/02, O'Brien-Strain, Eamonn wrote:

-- Sparta is a stand-alone package with its own parser. There is an optional wrapper that presents the W3C APIs.

One thing I was not able to determine by browsing of the JavaDocs and source code is how conformant the parser is. Given that Sparta does not resolve external entities or validate, (which is allowed by the XML spec) does it still make all remaining well-formedness checks? Will it throw an exception if an illegal character is used in an element name? Will it notice problems in the internal DTD subset? Does it pass the Oasis XML conformance tests <http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xml-conformance/suite-v1se/xmlconf-20010315.htm> for a processor of its type?

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo AT metalab.unc.edu | Writer/Programmer |
| XML in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition (O'Reilly, 2002) |
| http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xian2/ |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0596002920/cafeaulaitA/ |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: http://www.cafeaulait.org/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/ |