typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Ari-Up tribute

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Sharon Cheslow <decomposition AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Ari-Up tribute
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 12:47:09 -0800

Hi Dina,

From my experience working with academic media archives, I'm sure you can get support (and maybe funding) through your school. Check with any of the following departments: music, musicology, ethnomusicology, art history, women's studies. See what digital archives they already have and how they can help you. They might be able to offer support through work study students who can help with scanning, digitizing, processing, web design, etc., and your school might be able to help you with server space/electronic finding aids. But then you have to deal with whether the artifacts become part of the school archives or whether you maintain some sort of independent archive.

See if there are already partnerships or collaborative efforts between library/info science and any of those other departments. There are also probably specific groups at your school library that are dedicated to digital archives or oral history and can offer assistance. Find a professor in your grad program or in another dept. at your school who can supervise you.

If you look at the history of the Dada Archive at Univ. of Iowa (very cool, btw! thanks for the link), it says:
"Under the direction of Professor Kuenzli and the curatorship of Timothy Shipe, the activities of the International Dada Archive have been made possible through generous financial support by various agencies of the University, The University of Iowa Foundation, the Jerome Foundation, and the National Endowment for the Humanities. In addition, the administration and staff of the University Libraries have given their full cooperation in countless ways; the project would have been inconceivable without this enthusiastic support."

You say you want to start small, which is a great idea. You might want to start with a small website, with some artifacts and links. You'll need a way to organize, store, and catalog things. You'll eventually want a way for people to do searches. You'll need to deal with intellectual copyright issues. I don't know how it works at your school, but I did an internship at the UCLA Ethnomusicology Archive and also worked with digital archives at Stanford Univ., and there was by necessity collaboration among various departments, IT services, and library services. So you shouldn't need to start from scratch.

But if you decide to host your own archive, you'll need to ask one of the professors in your grad program how you can continue this project once you're out of school. If you have any questions, feel free to call me.

Sharon

Thanks Nicole, Lani, and Karan! All of your support is welcomed.

Nicole, I think I could build off your fabulous WIP archive and make
it multimedia with authentic artifacts. You've done such a great job
already! And thanks for those links, they were very helpful.

Maybe we need to pool our resources here. I'm betting that there are
people on this listserv who have some rare artifacts we could put in
the digital archive...

So we should start with the Slits/Ari? Let me think about it some more...

I encourage all listmembers to chime in on this conversation! :-)

-Dina