sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL servers (Re: Source Mage further development path)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMGL servers (Re: Source Mage further development path)
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 11:10:13 -0500

On Apr 07, Thomas Orgis [thomas-forum AT orgis.org] wrote:
> Am Mon, 06 Apr 2015 15:44:06 -0500
> schrieb David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>:
>
> > The people with the hardware have no time. Same as it's been for a long
> > time, sadly. I don't live within 400 miles of the datacenter with the
> > hardware, so I cannot do it myself, either.
>
> I'm not trying to offend here, but is this a sustainable situation?
> Would we have a reasonable response time in case the site is wholly
> down due to some hardware failure?

I regret not be able to migrate faster, but this part at least not a "what
if". When we lost the NIC last year and when the box was down due to the
failed ghost update this year I worked basically around the clock to
resolve them. People have my mobile number and know they should use it if
there's any kind of outage and I'll handle it. That hasn't changed.

I could say more about goals and attempts but I'll stick to the concrete of
what has happened and not what I'd like to do.