sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] eudev

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] eudev
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 17:26:50 -0600

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> BTW, /dev/shm is also missing as initially indicated, but somehow it
>>> sounds like it was corrected, given that /dev/pts had a special
>>> handling but /dev/shm didn't.
>>>
>>> I just copied/pasted the pts init script into a shm one and changed
>>> the dev and target, we'll see if that works...
>>
>> I forgot again, see grimoire bug 590.
>>
>> BTW, I'm thinking that the /etc/modules might get loaded if I
>> re-enable the init scrip for module-init-tools, I disabled it in favor
>> of kmod+udev, but perhaps eudev no longer plays its part on it.
>>
>> Something else is that mountall init script fails, though I don't seem
>> to get any log indicating why.
>>
>> I'll reboot again after and see if at least the modules are loaded,
>> and /shm mounted.
>
> As indicated in 589, my mistake on /etc/modules. That was provided by
> kmod, not udev, and by removing it, module-init-toos must take over,
> so I needed to recast it enabling the init script.
>
> Also, copying and modifying the pts init script into a shm one, did
> the magic to get /dev/shm mounted, as also indicated in 590. The
> reason this is required might be that the device is not ready.
>
> Interestingly enough as well, as stated on 589, it seems eudev is
> paying attention to the rules in /etc/udev/rules.d, since both the kvm
> and the vhost-net modules, when loaded, generated the devices with the
> right group ownership, which only happens if obeying the rules in
> etc... That might mean the problem is in the way eudev renames the
> network interfaces, :-(
>
> So, after the workarounds, the still pending issues are:
>
> 1.- Network interfaces renamed, no matter the rules in etc.
> 2.- mountall still fails, I haven't found out why.
>
> /dev/shm of course requires the init script attached in previous e-mail...

Just create 591, to reflect the fact mountall fails... Notice that
might be related to the fact neither /dev/pts, nor /dev/shm get
mounted, unless the 2 runlevel 3 scripts are added. It might be
mountall should creat those sub-dirs if not present, prior to trying
"mount -a ...". That might be an easy fix, but in a different spell
then.

--
Javier.