sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] eudev

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] eudev
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 16:58:56 -0600

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> Forgot to mention I filed grimoire bug 589 for this...
>>
>> BTW, /dev/shm is also missing as initially indicated, but somehow it
>> sounds like it was corrected, given that /dev/pts had a special
>> handling but /dev/shm didn't.
>>
>> I just copied/pasted the pts init script into a shm one and changed
>> the dev and target, we'll see if that works...
>
> I forgot again, see grimoire bug 590.
>
> BTW, I'm thinking that the /etc/modules might get loaded if I
> re-enable the init scrip for module-init-tools, I disabled it in favor
> of kmod+udev, but perhaps eudev no longer plays its part on it.
>
> Something else is that mountall init script fails, though I don't seem
> to get any log indicating why.
>
> I'll reboot again after and see if at least the modules are loaded,
> and /shm mounted.

As indicated in 589, my mistake on /etc/modules. That was provided by
kmod, not udev, and by removing it, module-init-toos must take over,
so I needed to recast it enabling the init script.

Also, copying and modifying the pts init script into a shm one, did
the magic to get /dev/shm mounted, as also indicated in 590. The
reason this is required might be that the device is not ready.

Interestingly enough as well, as stated on 589, it seems eudev is
paying attention to the rules in /etc/udev/rules.d, since both the kvm
and the vhost-net modules, when loaded, generated the devices with the
right group ownership, which only happens if obeying the rules in
etc... That might mean the problem is in the way eudev renames the
network interfaces, :-(

So, after the workarounds, the still pending issues are:

1.- Network interfaces renamed, no matter the rules in etc.
2.- mountall still fails, I haven't found out why.

/dev/shm of course requires the init script attached in previous e-mail...

--
Javier.