sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] pentium-m arch + java.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] pentium-m arch + java.
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 00:42:31 -0600

> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 12:44 AM, Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 12:33 AM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>
> Well it looks like its either glibc or the jvm causing the SIGSEGV. My
> guess from the stack trace is that the jvm is trying to use memory in
> an invalid location, but I could easily be completely off. Even if
> that is the case, I don't know how you could solve it as it would be a
> bug with the jvm. Perhaps try opening a bug report with oracle or
> contacting a java mailing list where they would know more about this.
>
> Have you tried IBM's jre?

Well, I tried some others, and hava no hope about this one...

> Trying java 6 may also help.

Tried binaries from Oracle and didn't work, and tried casting
icedtea6, and it hangs as well as icedtea7 does...

> Otherwise you
> can try pre-built OpenJDK binaries from
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/openjdk.html

Done that with no luck.

> or
> by extracting them from an rpm or deb or somewhere like
> https://github.com/alexkasko/openjdk-unofficial-builds#openjdk-unofficial-installers-for-windows-linux-and-mac-os-x

Did that other already.

> Or you can try using glibc-2.17 and see if that fixes anything, which
> is in the devel-glibc-2.15 branch. However, it's not well tested yet,
> so it may break some other things.

Does it have dependencies only available from that branch? Or is it
possible to get the spell and cast it on top of test without the
branch? If there's no other requirement than the spell itself, could
you provide it, to avoid downloading the whole repo? Also, is the
branch name you indicated OK (sounds like it should be 2.17 and not
2.15)...

> Hopefully one of these suggestions work.

Perhaps new glibc will, since no java seems to work once I recompiled
everything whether to pentium-m, or to native-32... Everything worked
on plain i686, but I refuse to revert to that, and I don't want to
recompile many things again...

I don't think all the java flavors I've tried are all wrong, icedtea7,
icedtea6, openjdk-bin, jdk7-bin, jdk6-bin... So perhaps glibc, :-)

Thanks,

--
Javier.