sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] pentium-m arch + java.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • To: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] pentium-m arch + java.
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 01:44:31 -0500

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 12:33 AM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
wrote:
> OK,
>
> Attached go the strace, and the gdb output and bt after running just
> plain "java -version" on the oracle binary...
>
> I honestly can't get much out of those, :-(
>
> BTW, I'm running now with 1.25G instead of 512M. Weird thing this
> dell insp. 600M doesn't support 2G, :-( So for now only 1.25G...
> Message is no matter more memory is now available, the error is still
> the same, :-(
>
> Any hints?

Well it looks like its either glibc or the jvm causing the SIGSEGV. My
guess from the stack trace is that the jvm is trying to use memory in
an invalid location, but I could easily be completely off. Even if
that is the case, I don't know how you could solve it as it would be a
bug with the jvm. Perhaps try opening a bug report with oracle or
contacting a java mailing list where they would know more about this.

Have you tried IBM's jre? Trying java 6 may also help. Otherwise you
can try pre-built OpenJDK binaries from
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/openjdk.html or
by extracting them from an rpm or deb or somewhere like
https://github.com/alexkasko/openjdk-unofficial-builds#openjdk-unofficial-installers-for-windows-linux-and-mac-os-x

Or you can try using glibc-2.17 and see if that fixes anything, which
is in the devel-glibc-2.15 branch. However, it's not well tested yet,
so it may break some other things.

Hopefully one of these suggestions work.