sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] pentium-m arch + java.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] pentium-m arch + java.
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 12:19:10 -0600

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Javier Vasquez
> <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm wondering why on earth was gcj lead to the state of being
>> considered dying... For now the solution for the penitum-m machine is
>> to go back to i686...
>
> To be fair, you can use gcj to compile ecj, which can then be used to
> bootstrap icedtea7. I believe this is what debian does and gentoo has
> an option for. I have no idea how hard it would be to setup though.

OK, back on i686, and back on having java support, :-)

So it's worth getting gcj working. Right now it compiles and installs
with no problem, but the installation is kind of broken (filed an
issue about it), but I have no clue why (there are missing binaries
and libs)... Then to see how to get icedtea compiled without the need
of binaries of itself...

Any ways, that'd be another topic, :-) I'm still surprised I couldn't
get java in the machine optimized for pentium-m/native... But trials
were taking more time than I have available, so I decided to drop this
one. No binary works, and the old i686 built didn't work either. I'd
prefer exploring the gcj option though, cause that removes the
dependency on binaries. :-)

Thanks for all the help,

--
Javier.