sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] /usr merge

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] /usr merge
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 12:29:55 +0900

Robin Cook (rcook AT wyrms.net) wrote [12.02.08 12:19]:
> Not that I agree with the merger but isn't merger to move everything
> in /bin, /sbin etc. into /usr/bin, /usr/sbin etc. not the other way
> around? I just wanted to make sure I read the stuff correctly.

Yes, you got that right. The proposal is to move all installed (by
package manager) binaries into /usr/bin and /usr/sbin.

Again, even if this becomes adopted practice for many upstream projects,
if it's not in FHS, we don't have to (and IMHO shouldn't) follow it (at
least not without providing an option to the end user somewhere, like a
new sorcery setting). Not that I agree with everything in FHS either.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage