sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] /usr merge

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] /usr merge
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:35:16 +0400

On Wed Feb 15 09:37:14 EST 2012
Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz> wrote:

> How many developers do you plan to hire? :)

If we don't have enough hands to resolve this, it must not force us to
follow inproper strategy to forget and "fix" it. It's all about time.
So if we need more time than expected -- then it should be done instead
of dropping more features (different kernels).

> We already discussed removing 2.4 support from glibc spell. It is
> certainly broken today, nobody really test and use it.

we should double-check that, and if it fails completely -- then drop
2.4 support from the distro.

> Arch defines minimum linux kernel 2.6.32 now [1]

Arch is pretty bad distro for copying the ways of developement from it
according to our distribution architecture. Arch is more like Debian or
Ubuntu, than like Gentoo/Lunar/LFS, which provides completely no
choice for a user on dependencies and configure options with its package
management system. They are FORCED to use recent stuff. We AREN'T.

> Btw, only linux 3.2 branch is really updated in grimoire and has no
> security issues.

That's our own problem. If you don't update anything than 3.2, and
noone else cares -- it's my personal problem while being as GL.

2.6.27.61 was released a few days ago by upstream, so it's not dead: if
it's not dead for 2 years, let's say for example, we should provide an
ability to select it with our linux spell and test if possible.

--
Dont wait to die to find paradise...