sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] /usr merge

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] /usr merge
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:37:14 +0100

> * Second, create the 2nd branch for udev, since in my opinion we still
> need to provide old kernel selection (like 2.6.27 and even from 2.4
> branch) along with new software out of the box.

:-)
How many developers do you plan to hire? :)
We already discussed removing 2.4 support from glibc spell. It is
certainly broken today, nobody really test and use it.
Arch defines minimum linux kernel 2.6.32 now [1].
Personally I would define for Source Mage minimum linux kernel 3.0 (new
LTS) [2]. We could clean glibc and other spells then.

Btw, only linux 3.2 branch is really updated in grimoire and has no
security issues. I don't believe you all install linux kernel manually.

> All these steps must be done in a branch.

Same as devel-xorg-modular? :-)
So now, if you want modern up-to-date system, you have to scribe
standard grimoire, devel-xorg-modular grimoire, devel-llvm-3.0 grimoire
and devel-udev-kmod grimoire. And manually update libpng.
Yea, easy. :-)

[1] http://www.archlinux.org/news/minimum-kernel-requirement-2632/
[2] http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/stable-status-01-2012.html

--