sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] /usr merge

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] /usr merge
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 19:33:33 +0900

Ladislav Hagara (ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz) wrote [12.02.07 19:16]:
> Hi,
>
> any plan with /usr merge [1]?
> Personally I don't like it but I am a realist. We have no chance to
> change the upstream.
> New versions of crucial upstream packages rely on /usr merge.
> Do we want to use devel-udev-kmod git branch by the same way as
> devel-xorg-modular or we plan to integrate it soon?
>
> [1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge

<cents value="2">

This is not all upstream, only for some projects. I doubt this will ever
become a common standard, as it would actually break many setups in
which it is very legitimate to have the separated. I'm not going to go
into the arguments, but pushing everything into /usr can only be viable
on desktop end-user systems, and is a purely bad idea in server
environments. Even on desktop systems, if the /usr partition isn't large
enough to accomodate everything else (unlikely, but possible), then it
can even break existing desktop environments. If someone really wants a
merged setup, pushing everything to / when there is only a single
partition for the whole disk is much better than pushing it to /usr
IMHO.

At any rate, we supposedly follow FHS, and as long as this isn't in FHS,
those upstreams actually violate the higher-up policy (note: many
upstreams install to /usr/local by default, and we modify those, so
there are many existing cases where FHS trumps specific upstream in our
distro). In other words, unless/until there is very widespread
acceptance of this, I don't see a reason for us to adhere to it. I
definitely don't want this for my own systems.

</cents>

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage