sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] long description wrap in spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Bor Kraljič <pyrobor AT ver.si>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] long description wrap in spells
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 18:23:58 +0200

On 14. of Oct 2011 23:26:04 flux <flux AT sourcemage.org> wrote:
> Bor Kraljič (pyrobor AT ver.si) wrote [11.10.14 20:08]:
> > Hi!
> >
> > DISCUSSION:
> > Do we merge devel-long_desc_fix into master?
> >
> > WORK IN A BRANCH:
> > With some help of scripting I managed to check all spells if long
> > description wrap is needed. For checking and fixing I used quill (both
> > of things are done by quills function check_description_wrap). I pushed
> > changes into devel- long_desc_fix branch.
> >
> > CHANGES IN A BRANCH:
> > All changes in that branch are only about long description getting cut
> > 80
> > columns.
> >
> > COMMENT:
> > I arranged my opinions in pro and con categories:
> > pro:
> > * on some tty you can only see 80 columns and this helps to see whole
> > long description
> >
> > con:
> > * large number of changes (commits)
> > * some long descriptions are cut pretty ugly. some are nice... but that
> > is scripted... Way to much spells to do it manually.
> > * this is from some point of view not important, cosmetic change
> >
> > DEADLINE
> > I hope we will decide. Otherwise I will call for a vote or something on
> > january 1st 2012.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Bor
>
> Technically the discussion on this is a moot point, since we have an
> explicitly stated requirement that the description in DETAILS be wrapped
> to 80 characters:
>
> "The description must be aligned to 80 characters (no line should exceed
> 80th character)." [1]
>
> [1]: http://wiki.sourcemage.org/DETAILS
hmm..
"This is the long description of the package. This should probably be less
than 24 lines as a guide, but not required. This *should* be wrapped to 80
characters. The text ends with "EOF" on its own line, beginning the in the
leftmost column. " [1]

And definition of "should" is based on [2] and [3] as just a recommendation.

So... Which one is the right one?

[1] http://wiki.sourcemage.org/DetailsReference
[2] http://wiki.sourcemage.org/Tome/DocumentationGuidelines
[3] http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2119.html