sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] long description wrap in spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>
  • To: SourceMage Discuss Mailing List <SM-Discuss AT Lists.IBiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] long description wrap in spells
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 12:20:34 -0500

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 06:29:39PM +0200, Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik wrote:

> Atleast ' tends to cause issues in the description... double quoting
> EOF should work iirc but then you need to watch out for them as
> well.

I found an example of a spell with that problem - happy. It has a
couple of ` and ' in the description. You're right about double
quoting EOF. Changing:

cat << EOF

to:

cat << "EOF"

gets rid of the error. Some Binging (I stopped Googling when they
started forcing instant searching on me) says the double quoting
disables variable and backtick command evaluation. Are there any long
spell descriptions that make use of variables or `command`s? If not,
would it be a good idea to make:

cat << "EOF"

the standard?

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.