sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 13:14:45 +0200

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 06:59:12PM +0200, Bor Kraljič wrote:
> On 24. MES 2011 16:15:11 Remko van der Vossen wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 01:52:55PM +0200, Bor Kraljič wrote:
> > > I am pretty sure we would find some pretty acceptable upgrade path for
> > > people when we will have newer version in different grimoire.
> >
> > Whatever is decided in this regard, e.g. no change, kde4-* -> kde-*, KDE
> > in separate grimoire, whatever, any of that can or needs to happen a
> > while after we get rid of KDE3.
>
> I think that after we get rid KDE3 I don't see any obstacle to move kde4
> install path to /.

I wasn't talking about prefix here at all, only about spell names, which
is a completely separate issue.

> > Whether we want KDE4 in /usr or some other prefix can be settled sooner.
> > Which is something we just need a general concensus on, with perhaps a
> > bias to the person or people who are going to implement and maintain the
> > lot.
>
> We install most of spells to /. Including WM stuff like gnome, e17 etc. So
> don't know why kde4 (which is the main branch now) should be any different.
> Atm
> we don't have any argument for using costum prefix. Only the one that 2
> versions of kde could coexist. That one really dispapears if we remove kde3
> from grimoire.

Yes, that's why I said in an earlier mail that prefixes are not our
normal way of working, it goes against our policy of sticking with
upstream with only overrides for FHS compliance. However if we choose
not to use a prefix that means we either must always CONFLICT ABI
incompatible KDE upgrades or have to go through the whole cycle of first
putting the new version in /opt, later removing the old version and then
moving the new version back into / again.

If KDE5 is going to be an incremental update and not a complete rework
like was mentioned, then that may change things. But I would doubt the
same thing would hold true for the future. And I wouldn't be convinced
that KDE5 will really be as incremental as we'd like even when it is so
intended, there's still bound to be a bucketload of compatibility
problems with KDE5 that will take time to resolve, time that either
users may not be able to use certain programs, or time that we will need
to hold of on spell upgrades and go into the whole eternal branch deal
again.

Anyway, again, I'm not a KDE user, so I'm not really that interested in
what prefix is used, but from a long term perspective I'd say that using
a version specific prefix would be the better bet.

Remko.